Celestial events are an excellent opportunity for synchronous global meditations and other celebrations. We particularly encourage participation in the Octal Celebrations. These happen eight times per year, at each of the Solstices (when the sun appears the farthest to the north or south from an earthly perspective), Equinoxes (when the sun crosses the equator) and Cross-Quarters (the mid-points between Equinoxes and Solstices in Earth’s orbit around the sun, when the sun crosses 16° 20′ Latitude).
Novasutras celebrates the Solstices, Equinoxes, and Cross-Quarters because these are global phenomena about the interaction of our home planet and our sun. It is an experience that can be shared with all beings on Earth. Many religious and folk traditions from around the world include celebration associated with these eight times of the year (the Grand Octal or seasonal cusps). Archaeological sites are often aligned to the location of the sun at specific times on these days.
Novasutras online Octal Celebrations are usually scheduled to coincide with the astronomical timing of the event (starting at least 15 minutes before it and ending after it). Typically, people sign up to participate in a Zoom conference call / webinar through links on the Novasutras Events page. Michelle explains a bit about the Octal Celebration, calls the corners to open us into sacred space and time, then leads a guided meditation on agaya and ubuntu that culminates in focusing on the subsolar point at the moment of the Equinox, Solstice or Cross-Quarter. (By definition, this will be a place somewhere in the tropics, directly on the equator at the Equinoxes, on the Tropic of Cancer at the June Solstice, on the Tropic of Capricorn at the December Solstice, and in-between these latitudes on the Cross-Quarters.) We consider what that point is like, then use it as a place to focus energy for agaya and ubuntu for the world. The meditation is followed by other participatory rituals and/or reflective discussion among the participants.
Planning Celebrations and Octal Meditations
- Cross-Quarter Celebration Suggestions
- Equinox Celebration Suggestions
- Solstice Celebration Suggestions
- 2022 Timings of Equinoxes, Solstices and Cross-Quarters
- Cross-Quarter 3 Feb 20:37 UTC (12:37pm Pacific)
- Equinox 20 March 15:33 UTC (8:33am Pacific)
- Cross-Quarter 5 May 12:25 UTC (5:25am Pacific)
- Solstice 21 June 09:14 UTC (2:14am Pacific)
- Cross-Quarter 7 Aug 12:36 UTC (5:36am Pacific)
- Equinox 23 Sep 01:04 UTC (22 Sep 6:04pm Pacific)
- Cross-Quarter 7 Nov 10:36 UTC (2:36am Pacific)
- Solstice 21 Dec 21:36 UTC (1:36pm Pacific)