Global / Online Events ~ Santa Cruz, CA Events ~ Recent Events ~ Planning Novasutras Celebrations ~ Calendar
Global / Online Events
Want to keep up-to-date with all Novasutras Global or Online Events? Check our Calendar.
Novasutras Discussions in Difficult Times
Online gathering spaces for connection and meaningful conversation in challenging times. Join as many Discussions as you like. These meetings do not have predetermined topics, recordings or other follow-up. We will gather for about 90 minutes, supporting and uplifting one another in agaya and ubuntu through open, compassionate, confidential exchange.
We will hold regular sessions two times per week:
Grief: Exploring the Human Condition
Wednesdays, 3:00pm PDT / 22:00 UTC
(June 3rd, June 10th, June 17th)
Society doesn’t usually prepare us for processing grief—but it’s part of the human condition. We will come together each week to listen, share, and process our grief.
Intergenerational Transmission of Trauma
with Francesca Raphael
Monday June 8th, 11:30 am PDT / 18:30 UTC
At this discussion, we will explore the ways that traumas transmitted across generations shape us and influence our relationships. By bringing to consciousness the beliefs we have inherited which do not serve us, we can begin to undo destructive inner and interpersonal patterns.
Novasutras Guided Meditations on the Moon Phases
We offer these meditations for well-being on Earth, at or near the times of the four main phases of the moon (about once a week, times vary). We celebrate the ever-changing moon as a reminder of the dynamic change that is essential to life, with an emphasis on global unity and loving-kindness to all beings.
Upcoming Lunar Meditations
Full Moon: Fri. June 5th, 11:45am PDT
Waning Moon: Fri. June 12th, 11:00am PDT
New Moon: concurrent with Solstice (see below)
Waxing Moon: Sun. June 28th, 1:00pm PDT
Can’t donate right now? Don’t want to register? Join directly here.
JUNE 2020 SOLSTICE
Saturday June 20th, 2:00pm PDT / 21:00 UTC we will gather on Zoom for a 90-minute conversation with guided meditation through the moment of the Solstice. The 2020 June Solstice is June 20th at 21:44 UTC (2:44pm Pacific). After the meditation, there will be opportunity for conversation. Please join us for this Octal Meditation practice to enhance personal and global well-being.
Can’t donate anything right now? Register without donation.
Weekly Climate Action Meditations: Carol proposes that each of us (on our own, but simultaneously) could meditate on a visualization of “our glorious planet with a clean, healthy atmosphere & ecosystems” for a half-hour at 20:00 UTC / noon PST each Sunday. Learn more…
Sign up for the Novasutras newsletter for updates eight times per year.
Santa Cruz, California Events
Want to keep up-to-date with all of Novasutras Santa Cruz Events? Check our Calendar.
Climate and Habitat meditation
Sunday March 22nd 1:30-2:15pm POSTPONED UNTIL SITUATION CHANGES
Out of an abundance of caution, we will postpone this gathering. Hopefully these can resume with renewed gusto in a few weeks.
POSTPONED UNTIL SITUATION CHANGES
Out of an abundance of caution, we will postpone this gathering. Hopefully these can resume with renewed gusto next month.
Planning ahead for April? Take this poll to let us know which times you might be able to participate in Shinrin-Yoku (and if you have any suggestions for alternative locations). We will select one of the times and let people know by April 9th. Please join us at 2:00 on Thursday, March 26th for this gentle walk or sit at Henry Cowell Redwoods. Learn about and experience the benefits of forest immersion practice. RSVP so we know to expect you, and so we can arrange carpools.
See the Santa Cruz area chapter page for details.
Politics as Rebirth: The Wisdom of Hannah Arendt with Paul Schaafsma, June 3rd
The politics of the US and much of the world has been dominated by an extractive view of the world, essentially a culture that dismisses life, as if placing gravestones on top of something alive that has been buried. We will review and discuss Hannah Arendt’s vision of politics as rebirth, seeking directions for a path toward a politics that honors life.
Exploration of Hatha Yoga for Novasutras
Thursday, May 28th
The traditional philosophy of primordial yoga from the ancients of India is simple: you are the power of the cosmos manifesting as utter intelligence and beauty. The practice is the embodied expression of agaya, and will center us into a deeper place from which meditation may arise naturally.
More info on the Calendar listing…
Grief: Exploring the Human Condition May 9th
Society doesn’t usually prepare us for processing grief—but it’s part of the human condition. We came together to listen, share, and process our grief. More sessions on grief coming soon.
Full Moon Novasutras Guided Meditation: May 7th, 2020
A 45-minute session with a guided meditation for well-being on Earth, honoring times of change with the ever-changing moon, at each quarter phase of the moon. Video coming soon.
MAY CROSS-QUARTER: May 4th We gathered on Zoom for some conversation and our guided meditation through the moment of the Cross-Quarter 5 May 00:49 UTC (May 4, 5:49pm Pacific).
Waxing Moon Novasutras Guided Meditation – Thurs. April 30
A 45-minute session with a guided meditation for well-being on Earth, honoring times of change with the ever-changing moon, at the first quarter phase of the moon.
video coming soon
Discussion: ‘What are our gifts?’ – Sunday, April 26th
Key parts of any organizing work are to tap into the strengths of each team member and to hear every voice. As we prepare to launch discussions, teachings, and rituals under the Novasutras banner, we have gifts to uncover and synergies to enliven. Please join us in this exploration as we work to envision and craft a more beautiful world our hearts know to be possible. Find a role in our movement, and find warmth in collaborative self-discovery!
Video coming soon.
Reclaiming Hope: Earth Day Comes Back Home
April 24, 2020, 1:30pm PDT / 20:30 UTC
We invite you to join us for focused reflection on the lessons of that first Earth Day. We had a presentation by Paul Schaafsma to get us started, followed by group discussion.
New Moon Novasutras Guided Meditation
April 23rd 5:15pm PDT / April 24th 00:15 UTC
We welcomed the beauty of the new moon rising as an opportunity to focus on what we would like to be emerging now, and the pull of a better future for all. This Novasutras meditation on agaya and ubuntu emphasized global unity and loving-kindness through the disruptions of these challenging times.
Video coming soon.
The Future of Novasutras Discussions: Co-Creation as a Community – Sunday, April 19th
We are looking forward to having more Discussions and other Novasutras Events. Moving forward, these events will be community-led — this means you! Here’s the outline of Novasutras Online Events: Uplifter Roles
Earth Week Beginning Online Gathering – April 18th
We reflected on the meaning of Earth Day, both in guided meditation and thoughtful conversation.
Last-Quarter Moon Novasutras Guided Meditation – Apr 14, 2020
A 45-minute session with a guided meditation for well-being on Earth, honoring times of change with the ever-changing moon.
Video coming soon.
Full Moon Novasutras Guided Meditation – April 7th
A 30-minute session with a guided meditation for well-being on Earth, celebrating the beauty of the full moon. Video coming soon.
- Discussions in Difficult Times every day from March 30 to April 14th, 2020 –By participant consent, some portions of sessions are recorded and shared on this YouTube playlist. — Future Discussions and more info coming soon.
- March 31st Daily Discussion – Participants in the Novasutras Daily Discussion on March 31, 2020 requested that we record this portion, to share ideas about the problems of the current economic system, creating a fair and decentralized Green New Deal that can reduce poverty and GHG emissions, and seeking solutions to change our relationship to consuming so we are “meeting the needs of all, by healing — not harming –planet and people.” — https://youtu.be/Ky2GjduXYSE — Join our upcoming Daily Discussions.
- MARCH 2020 EQUINOX: We gathered on Zoom at 03:00 UTC March 20th / 8:00pm Pacific March 19th for a 90-minute conversation with guided meditation through the moment of the Equinox, which is 20 March 03:50 UTC (March 19th, 8:50pm Pacific).
- CROSS-QUARTER: We gathered online for our Octal Meditation about 12 hours before actual moment of the Cross-Quarter, 4 Feb 08:55 UTC (12:55am Pacific). This meditation for global well-being and loving-kindness, agaya and ubuntu, followed by conversation was recorded was recorded Monday Feb 3rd, 20:30 UTC / 12:30 pm PST.
- Meditation in support of Climate Fast – Friday, Dec. 27
- DECEMBER SOLSTICE 2019: Sunday, 22nd of December, 2019, 04:19 UTC (Saturday, Dec. 21, 8:19pm PST).
- Meditation for the Amazon: Novasutras offered a worldwide, synchronous guided meditation focusing on healing and wellness for the Amazon rainforest and all who live there. We chose to meditate together on #BuyNothingDay, in support of the #Amazon4Amazon campaign. Sign up FREE to be part of the Novasutras Movement, and we’ll send you a link to the video of this guided meditation.
Ideas for planning celebrations:
- Equinox Celebration Suggestions
- Solstice Celebration Suggestions
- 2020 Timings of Equinoxes, Solstices and Cross-Quarters
- Cross-Quarter 4 Feb 08:55 UTC (12:55am Pacific)
- Equinox 20 March 03:50 UTC (March 19, 8:50pm Pacific)
- Cross-Quarter 5 May 00:49 UTC (May 4, 5:49pm Pacific)
- Solstice 20 June 21:44 UTC (2:44pm Pacific)
- Cross-Quarter 7 Aug 01:04 UTC (Aug 6, 6:04pm Pacific)
- Equinox 22 Sep 13:31 UTC (6:31am Pacific)
- Cross-Quarter 7 Nov 22:56 UTC (2:56pm Pacific)
- Solstice 21 Dec 10:02 UTC (2:02am Pacific)
Celestial events are an excellent opportunity for synchronous global meditations, and other celebrations. We particularly encourage participation in the Octal Meditations. Online Octal Meditations are usually scheduled to coincide with the timing of the celestial event (starting at least 15 minutes before it and ending after it). Learn more…