Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Novasutras movement all about?
- What are agaya and ubuntu?
- What are the core principles and values of the Novasutras movement?
- Why is Novasutras a religion?
- Which religion is this?
- What do Novasutras adherents worship?
- What do Novasutras adherents believe?
- What are Novasutras practices?
- What is the moral foundation of the Novasutras movement?
- Who is in charge of Novasutras?
- What are the goals of the Novasutras movement?
- What can I do to help?
What is the Novasutras movement all about?
The name Novasutras comes from the Latin nova — meaning “new” — and the Sanskrit word sutras — meaning “religious teachings.”
The Novasutras movement is an invitation to co-create the religion the world needs today and for the future. Together, we can conceive a religion that remains adaptable, deeply democratic and egalitarian, open to both science and mysticism, and so beautifully compelling that it can powerfully transform the way humans live together in our biosphere.
Novasutras has its roots in deep ecology, watered by mindfulness traditions, and growing up into the world to nurture everyone, stretching forth branches blossoming with enticing ritual and bearing the fruit of care and kindness for all.
Agaya is a new term, intended as an expression of the deep, sacred beauty of the universe. Ubuntu is a term that represents the connections between all things, binding us all together in the more-than-human world with reverence, joy, generosity, gratitude, and loving-kindness. …read more…
Nature is sacred. Change is essential, inevitable and important. Complexity and maturity emerge from cooperative relationships. The beauty of the living world is to be savored, honored, celebrated and protected. …read more…
Unlike most activist organizations, Novasutras starts from the intention of inspiring a movement large enough to change the whole paradigm of civilization. We believe that we must change the underlying system: the ideas of our culture that are so fundamental, they go largely unspoken and unchallenged. A religion can provide people with the kind of new cultural template that will allow for radical changes throughout the system. …read more…
Which religion is this?
Most indigenous societies that pursue animism are relatively sustainable ecologically, a point that should be obvious if one considers their existence for centuries, or even millennia, in the same region without causing resource depletion and environmental degradation to an irreversible degree. In these kinds of societies, nature is not merely a biophysical reality or economic resource, but more important, it is intrinsically spiritual… Probably the respect and reverence afforded nature because of its sacredness contributes significantly to the sustainability of these societies. (from anthropology.iresearchnet.com/animism/)
What do Novasutras adherents believe?
What are Novasutras practices?
Novasutras practices currently include meditating, celebrating Solstices, Equinoxes and Cross-quarters (and other astronomical or worldwide events), calling the corners, drawing the logo, and befriending trees. Part of co-creating Novasutras includes developing additional specific rituals, rites and celebrations that promote the vitality of ubuntu and agaya. In other words, we are making it up as we go along – please join us in this vibrant co-creative endeavor.
What is the moral foundation of the Novasutras movement?
Who is in charge of Novasutras?
Are there priestesses or hierophants?
What are the goals of the Novasutras movement?
Our long-term goals include
- Defending and protecting the environment, agaya and ubuntu
- Responding to disasters
- Rebuilding after disasters
- Supporting social justice causes
- Preserving knowledge and culture
- Spreading joy and celebration
Our greater goals are generally aligned with the global Sustainable Development Goals.
To achieve these larger intentions, we have specific goals for movement building:
- Organize local celebrations for Equinoxes and Solstices in 2018.
- Develop a working wiki of Novasutras philosophy, research, and practices by March Equinox 2019.
- Grow Novasutras communities in at least 30 countries.
- Unite a quarter-million participants worldwide into conversations about community based on agaya and ubuntu.
- Hold celebrations around the world for the June 2019 Solstice.
- Freely distribute 1 million printed books about Novasutras globally by December Solstice 2020.
- Invite the power of community to transform global civilizations into expressions of Novasutras’ core values, so we begin to live in a world of ubuntu and agaya.
share widely – create – start or join a work team – celebrate – share space – donate stuff – contribute funds or buy merch
Novasutras welcomes all dedicated people to apply their head, hands and heart to co-creating a world abiding in agaya and ubuntu. …read more…
Have more questions? Please leave them in the comments below, or contact us.